The world is in a pathetic state right now!
And this is not a panic article stating another Covid 19 issue by any means. We would not do that because we are not enjoying this persistent blow out of information.
We are here talking some sense. First thing is that we would request you to stay home as much as possible. And while you are quarantining, you must either be working from home or finding something to increase your productivity.
On that note, we bring for you a DIY home sanitizer recipe so that you can invest your time in something good. Also, the grocery and pharmacist stores are constantly running out of hand sanitizer, so if you face similar problems too, you can make one by yourself.
And the most important thing is to keep our hands clean, all the time!
When we say, we are in it together, let us actually fight against it together.
But before that, let us give some facts about the hand sanitizer that you need to know as we have to use it for a long time now.
Alcohol In Hand Sanitizer
A senior lecturer in biomedical sciences at Royal Holloway, Mr. James McEvoy, says ‘The reason why alcohol works are because it attacks and destroys the viral envelope, a layer of fat surrounding viral particles’. The hand sanitizers need to have 60% alcohol content so that it becomes an effective disinfectant according to the CDC. The most active ingredient in hand sanitizers is alcohol.
But what you need to understand here is that the alcohol should be mixed with an emollient so that it becomes skin-friendly.
Hence, it is always better to have gin or vodka as they do not have high enough alcohol by volume (ABV). The alcohol-based hand sanitizer is the second-best option after the soap and water to clean our hands as a precaution from Coronavirus.
This fact is stated by the Centers for disease control and prevention (CDC).
Key Ingredients To Make Hand Sanitizer At Home
- Rubbing alcohol or isopropyl – 3/4 cup
- Aloe vera gel – 1/4 cup
- Essential oils like tea tree oil, lavender oil, or even lemon juice – 10 to 15 drops (You can also include a few drops of eucalyptus, clove, or peppermint).
The proportion of alcohol to aloe vera is 2:1, so make sure to stick to this. Again, this means that the alcohol content should be 60%. Alcohol fights germs and aloe vera keeps the skin smooth as act as a contrary ingredient to alcohol. Essential oils hydrate the skin. These oils also add a nice aroma to the sanitizer.
Recipe of Hand Sanitizer at home
- Take a bowl and pour all these ingredients mentioned above into it. Make sure to measure each ingredient correctly to make it effective entirely.
- Mix them all in the bowl using a spoon.
- Now when the mixing is done, beat it with a brisk to give it a gel-like consistency. Do it until it gets thicker like gel.
- Your DIY hand sanitizer is ready. Pour it into a bottle and use it daily.
WHO has its formula for creating a larger batch of hand sanitizer. They use ethanol or isopropyl alcohol, glycerol, hydrogen peroxide, and sterile distilled or boiled cold water.
Points to Keep in Mind While Making a Hand Sanitizer at Home
As stated by Jagdish Khubchandani, Ph.D., associate professor of health science at Ball State University, here are a few things that must be kept in mind while making hand sanitizer at home:
- Make it in a clean place and wipe down countertops with a diluted bleach solution beforehand.
- Never touch the mixture with your hands until it is ready, hence use the nitrile gloves while making it.
- Before you start making the sanitizer, you need to wash and clean your hands correctly.
- All the items from the bowl, spoon, funnel, brisk, and the like should be ultra-clean.
- Use non-diluted alcohol for the hand sanitizer solution or else it will not work
- Mix all the ingredients in a way that all of them are blended perfectly turning into a gel-like composition.
With this in mind, let’s keep ourselves safe, and sanitize our hands to combat against this deadly virus.